Monday, April 10, 2006

NYC

Recently I had to travel to NYC to work for a few days. Luckily my husband has the great advantage of working from home(...read, wherever he wants.)

We spent the weekend with his family. Honorable mentions of the dreadful ex and the kids and their god-like status were thankfully kept to a minimum. My only question to the general public is - what is wrong with silence? Why must some people fill it with the most inane commentary? And FURTHERMORE, why bitch? Didn't your mother teach you "if you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything at all"? Or how about my favorite bathroom wallpaper adage "how are you is a greeting, not a question - don't tell guests about your indigestion". Honestly if i took this crew at face value for their conversations they would all be in jeopardy of being committed and on suicide watch. This however is normal. A norm, I hope to NEVER endorse, engage in or accept.

But then the goods time began. Sun afternoon we arrived at our swankified Times Square hotel. Monday I took the train to Newark (you didn't think that i actually got to work on a gov't contract in manhattan did you?!?!) We celebrated with dinner at l'ecole (french culinary institute). It was incredible! I consider peter quite the wine snob, but let me tell you ~ we have a thing to learn. For the most part, we choose wines that go nicely with dinner. These catapulted the meal into a whole new realm of fantastic! Then to top the night off we saw Jacques Pepin as he was leaving. Our first NYC celeb sighting. Ok, perhaps he's not as popular as Katie's alien baby, but when your a chubby girl who loves to cook, he's a GOD!

Tues work was the same miserable beast. However instead of a dinner focus ~ I was going to the gershwin theater to try and win tickets to WICKED. OMG I WON! Ironically we almost didn't get to go as peter forgot to mention that minor detail paying for the tickets with CASH. H-E-L-L-O i don't normally carry more then the change in our sofa at the bottom of my purse. And that’s assuming that i haven't changed purses within the last 24 hours, which in itself is highly unlikely. Well by some grace of god there was a women there who understood purses and when i offered her mine in exchange for $25, she laughed and said 'honey your good for it' and gave me the cash. Someone just gave me $25 in cash in NYC!

I spent the entire first act with tears streaming down my face from shear excitement. It was amazing. The stage, the costumes, the voices.

I was spellbound

No comments: